Saturday, October 3, 2009

I need to make you laugh!


So, I wanted to write some humorous greeting cards the other day, but for the life of me, I just couldn't think funny.  How do you say something funny on command?  I can't do it, but perhaps some people can.  I'm sure Jim Carrey and Robin Williams aren't funny 24 hours a day.  They must have their off moments.  It's great to have a script in front of you filled with funny lines, but what if you don't?  We're all humans, capable of multiple emotions, so you would think we all have times when we just don't feel funny.

So, in that case, how do you MAKE humor happen? How do you tap into that funny vein and make the silly, crazy stuff come pouring out?

One way I do it is with pictures. (Like the one I've posted above.) I need idea starters. So I googled funny baby pictures. Then I stare at a picture and wait for inspiration to strike. Possible captions for this one? How about: "Man, I'm pooped. And speaking of poop, change my damn diaper, will ya?"

Or maybe: "Sucks being me. How are YOU doing?" Then there's: "She makes me wear this goofy-looking hat! What will all the cool kids think?"

A number of years ago when I was working in editorial at Paramount Cards, I finally got a shot at writing humorous cards. We had a very small staff the whole time I was there; all three of us worked on sentimental or serious cards, no funny stuff. That was fine with me but I must admit there were times when I felt like writing some humor. It wasn't until 1996, I think, that we had a different editorial manager, and he let the three of us editors work on some humor. I remember sitting around with Michael and Regina, bouncing ideas off each other. It was great! We just cracked up laughing and I thought: What a great way to make a living! The other departments must have thought we were insane; I'm sure they could hear our bellows all the way down the hallway.

So, that's another way to stir the funny pot--surround yourself with funny people if you can. My youngest sister is usually a great source of jokes, derived mostly from real life incidents.

The only other way I can think of is to watch funny TV shows (and there aren't many I'd consider funny) or funny movies.  Sometimes a book will prove useful.

Excuse me now.  I've got to go tickle my funny bone so I can tickle others.

5 comments:

  1. The kid does have that Bob Newhart's look. Talking about Bob Newhart, I had a good laugh watching this video on YouTube the other day. Just for the fun of it, go here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture made me laugh. I suppose all I need is a visual to get my funny bone going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this photo. He's already bored with life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it's just not your time to be funny, at the moment. It's good that you acknowledge it so. I seem to be feeling rather ticklish at the moment, especially on AW and other places. Just coming out with funny things, which seem to have a nice ring to it. I hope you re-kindle your love for humour soon, and that picture is very cute! Babies are a ray of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute baby! Love that miserly face.

    Bring on the funny, Kathy! :D

    ReplyDelete