Thursday, October 15, 2009

Descriptions, descriptions!


How would you describe these flowers?  Are they pink and white or are they more than that?  Do they need to be more than that?

I was trying to write a 3000-word story for a contest and didn't get too far.  I had a vague idea of where the story was going.  I'd figured out how to incorporate three contest requirements into it. The problem? Narration. Description. How to explain what the woman is doing and why.

I don't seem to have a problem coming up with ideas. I don't flinch when it comes to writing dialogue. Piece of cake. But descriptions? Man, that's hard. I'm a writer, I'm supposed to be able to do it. Are certain writers better at descriptions than others? 

There are times when I think I should stick to writing poetry.  Or non-fiction.  Or maybe plays.

And now back to those pretty flowers.  How would you describe them? (oh, you can click on the picture to see a larger version).

8 comments:

  1. Pink and wispy. Beautiful. See, I'm not great at description either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petals from faint pink to deep purple spilling from a spring-green jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, well I'm not too good at description either. LOL I guess I'd call them by name and say they were a mix of pink and white? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan: wispy is good!

    Paul: That's nice! Better than I could do.

    Jessica: Exactly! That's the way I'd see them, too. I'd have to do some further thinking to describe them otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like butterflies hovering above the rest of the shrub, looking for somewhere to land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that's a nice image, bettielee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dem is flowers. Pink ones.

    ;-)

    Adam

    PS - I'm spartan in my descriptions, so I'd say something along the lines of "a small shrub with delicate pink and white blooms." If I mentioned them at all, that is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good, Adam. Spartan is okay in my book.

    ReplyDelete