Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mysteries


There are mysteries out there.  Some are big ones, some are small.  My fascination with houses extends beyond the houses themselves; I also wonder about the people who dwell within them.

And then there are the things you see outside. For instance, a bunch of shoes hanging on a telephone line. How did they get there? Who tossed them up there? Why are they up there?

I do not have the answers to these questions. But that doesn't stop me from being curious. Yes, it's a small thing to ponder, considering the bigger mysteries in life. But I'm just a small fry in a big vat of bigger fries, so I'll focus on the little mysteries for now.

Here is a possibility:  Some kids swiped the shoes belonging to Tommy, Billy and Charlie and tossed them up there so said kids would have to walk home shoeless. Arriving home each mom says, "What happened to your shoes?" Tommy, Billy and Charlie have got some explaining to do.

Here's another explanation: Tommy, Billy and Charlie decide it would be a neat idea to toss their own shoes up on the telephone wire. Tommy says, "Hey, I bet I can make my shoes land on top of that wire and you can't!" The others join in since they can't back down from a challenge.

And there's always the possibility of aliens.  Late at night, when a nice quiet neighborhood is fast asleep, three aliens emerge from their spaceship and step out onto the playground.  They gaze up at the telephone wire and decide to leave a message behind for their Earth neighbors. Each alien tosses a pair of recently acquired shoes up on the wire.  What does it mean?  Well, we can only guess.  Perhaps it means: We would like to know what it's like to walk in your shoes for a day. Or maybe: You people have strange taste in footwear.  Or: This is a warning, Earthlings! First your shoes, next your clothes, then your lives! Fear us!

As I said, I'm curious about the things I see every day.  How about you?  What makes you curious?

8 comments:

  1. The picture goes very nicely with my blog this week, doesn't it? Anyway, one of the commenters on my posts this week said that shoes hanging on power lines in Florida means that's where drug deals go down. Hmm...I wonder if that's true. I am curious about too many things to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard an explanation once upon a time about shoes on power lines. I think it was along the lines of a memorial or a show of support or something... but for the life of me I can't remember beyond the reference in the movie "Wag the Dog."

    I always wonder what the shoes think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I'm very curious. :-) Lots of things make me curious, but esp. people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! My comment sounds kind of weird, almost like I'm an alien. *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious! I'm the same way, with curiosity and imagination. I think my questions used to drive my mom crazy when I was a girl. And now my daughter has the same what if complex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This 'shoefiti' practice is here in America and other countries, too. Someone might have died in the neighborhood? Crackhouse nearby? Someone has just lost virginity? I've seen them in my neighborhood and eventually the electricity supplier had them removed. Those shoes flung up on the wires weren't old, beat-up shoes. Perhaps they all went to Goodwill collecting bin that sat in the back of our shopping center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, interesting. It could mean someone died in the neighborhood or drugs are sold here.

    I wouldn't be too surprised about the drugs theory since this is a playground area where teens hang out at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your imagination, it is filled with life. I think it is the mysteries that give us meaning, past the curiosity. Those experiences, are the ones we should accept more off for what they are, rather than what they could be.

    ReplyDelete