Tuesday, September 22, 2009

And the seasons go 'round and 'round...














I'm fortunate to have some beautiful country landscapes very close to where I live.  The other day I decided to snap some pictures of late summer/early fall which will begin this new experiment I'm planning.
I will try to faithfully follow up with pictures of this same lake and countryside when the leaves turn to red and gold, then later when the trees are bare, and finally when spring returns with budding flowers and leaves.

This cycle of the seasons has always fascinated me.  Spring seems to signify the beginning; for humans it's the equivalent of infancy and childhood. Then Summer cartwheels in as an adolescent, Fall carves out its own colors and personality as an adult, and eventually Winter ends the cycle as a senior citizen.

As Joni Mitchell wrote in her classic song, The Circle Game, "And the seasons they go 'round and 'round and the painted ponies go up and down...We can't return we can only look behind from where we came, and go 'round and 'round and 'round in the circle game."



6 comments:

  1. Isn't this the best time of the year? I think it will be neat to see your progression of pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your poetic description of the four seasons. Simple, elegant. I like reading about nature and fauna and flora, and while reading this post I was thinking of The New Dharma Bums blog that has some fine writing about nature and beasts.

    (http://newdharmabums.blogspot.com/2009/08/six-months-later.html)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures and great comparison. I think of the seasons in much the same way. It's interesting, though, my favorite season is summer. Maybe that's why I write YA. I'm still an adolescent at heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the seasons too, bummed that I always miss fall and winter in Florida. It's like I get the tiniest peek before it's snatched away.
    You have a great area to live in! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to all!

    Yes, Jessica, New England is a great area to see the four seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures, they are very beautiful and indeed show the fullness of the season in bloom. Happy snapping for new change! :)

    ReplyDelete