Friday, May 22, 2009

Steps in the right direction

I was very impressed by the film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  So interesting to think about what life would be like backwards--starting off with old age then gradually growing younger.

So yesterday I decided to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story on which the movie was based.  It's quite different from the movie, and obviously much shorter, but still an interesting and thought-provoking story. When I read the inspiration for it, Mark Twain's comment that it was too bad the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end, I thought that made a lot of sense.  I often think about people nearing retirement age, who look forward to finally getting the chance to do all the things they've put off doing, waiting for their retirement years, and then that time finally comes but....

Will the person still have time to fulfill those dreams?  How many years of healthy living will he or she have left?  Now there is time, but what kind of time will that be?

All of this makes me feel compelled to make sure I accomplish the things I want to accomplish as soon as possible.  I'm healthy right now, but I have no idea how healthy I'll be 20 years from now.  When we put off our dreams and the things we want to get around to for another day down the road when there's "more time", it's like counting on winning the lottery in order to pay our debts or bills.  If that money never materializes, then what?

There are those who try to live each day as if it might be their last.  At the very least, we should try to make sure each step we're taking is headed in the direction we want to go.

3 comments:

  1. An excellent point. I guess that's why someone shared the thought, Live tomorrow like it's your last day.

    We should all look closely at our dreams, and take them seriously enough to work on them now. You're right - we never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. You never know when it might all end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Janna and Abby.

    Well, I like to think positive, but we also have to be realistic. I know a number of people who put off getting to their hobbies and interests til their retirement. For some, it was too late.

    I also know of a young man killed in a fire at age 18. Fortunately he had been living his dream as a lead singer for a rock band.

    ReplyDelete