Sunday, November 9, 2008

Are you ready for Christmas?

No?

Well, why not?  After all, when I visited my mom today in the nursing home the little Charlie Brown Christmas tree was already up.  Or perhaps they never took it down.

It's kind of sad the way Thanksgiving gets lost in the shuffle.  The media makes a big deal about Halloween.  The stores are bursting with decorations, masks, costumes, and accessories.  Why, my daughter even sent me on a frantic last-minute trip to purchase some fake blood.  No costume is complete without it.  So Halloween gets its share of attention.

And now apparently it's time to move on to Christmas shopping.  Time to decorate, play those timeless songs, and get out there to hit the stores.  Except...

What about turkey day?  Where are the turkey songs on the radio?  Are there any?  Surely there must be SOME Thanksgiving songs?  Is Thanksgiving really just one day in November?  Or perhaps we should be celebrating it all month long.  If the holiday is about giving thanks, maybe we should be doing that every day in November.

So today I tried to put aside my griping about the poor economy, my many bills, and lack of money.  I have a roof over my head.  It's a leaking one, but it's a roof.  I have clothes to wear.  I have enough food to eat.  I can feed my kids.  My health is not perfect, but it's good.  I have a great family and wonderful relatives.   I have a one week old niece, just starting out in life who will move our family into a new era.

Today I told my sister, "I'm thankful for everything I have."  And I'll try very hard to remember that all the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment