Tuesday, July 3, 2012

SHARK!!

So I'm re-reading Jaws, a novel I read many years ago, and trying to figure out why I'm so fascinated with sharks. Thirty-seven years ago, I was a young college student who couldn't get enough of sharks! I read the novel, watched the movie (probably more than once), and went to the library to study up on these marvelous creatures. Me: Gimme all your books on sharks. But why? I wasn't sure then and I'm still not sure now. It could be the scare factor. Some of us love most what scares us the most. Roller coaster rides, haunted houses, slasher movies, zombies, vampires--if it gives us the chills, it wakes up our senses. We're more alive because the adrenaline's pumping. Now I wouldn't want to go swimming in the ocean with a great white. And I wouldn't volunteer to toss fish into one's mouth from a nearby boat. No, that's okay, I'll pass. But study this creature from the safety of a library or my home? Sure! Bring on the books and pictures. I want to know everything--what it eats, how it digests what it eats, where you can find one, how long it lives, etc., etc. I just finished reading that sharks don't really like the taste of humans. That's kinda good to know. If I ever find myself in the water with one, I'll keep that in mind. But that's about as likely to happen as my winning the Powerball jackpot. Although..

4 comments:

  1. My wife and kids went to the beach recently and there were sharks close to shore. They weren't happy. It cut down on the swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by them, but I also have nightmares about them. That doesn't happen with zombies or vamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have nightmares about sharks if I spent any time with them. That's why I just read about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally loved Peter Benchley's Jaws. And the Island! The big shark, Megalodon really intrigues me.

    chris

    ReplyDelete