Monday, March 29, 2010

I Just Wanna Go Back to Bed Today

>It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down. Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day. On second thought, don't!

As you have probably surmised, it is raining here. How depressing. I really need to hop in the car and go to the store but I just can't summon the energy or motivation to get out of my chair. I am typing away here to keep myself awake. When I look out the window, all I see is torrential rainfall.

There are those who maintain, "Well, better rain than snow!" I suppose that's true. But when I awake to rain in the morning, the rest of the day just doesn't seem to matter. I can't get motivated and inspired.

In a little while, I'll force myself to go out the door and do those errands. Right now I think I'm going to practice the piano. I now have four lessons under my belt so I know something, even if it's only a little something. I can find middle C. I know the names of all of the white keys. I can play a few notes of Beethoven's Ode to Joy. I know what a half note looks like. And a quarter note. And a rest. But I have miles to go before I sleep. (or master the piano, anyway)

So how about you? Do you do your best work when it's sunny? Or does sunshine make you want to skip work and go lie on a beach somewhere?

4 comments:

  1. My ability to work isn't related to the weather, it's whether I can find the time! But a sunny day definitely puts a bounce in my step, make no mistake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a day like that here too. I had planned to get lots of writing done. I got started, thinking things were going my way. Then my wife came home sick from work. I can't write with her in the house. Maybe it will rain tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was rainy and cold here for days, but the sun came out today. It felt good, and I got way more writing done. I suppose I work better when the sky is clear. Good for you for sticking with the piano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I lived in MI I could only write/read when it rained. But I've lived in San Diego for 10 years now & write when it's sunny - otherwise I'd never do it! When it rains now, I'm so unaccustomed to it that I just want to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete